I suggest you ...

okay so you probably get this alot but but many of us would like to see patterns of multiple colors...

for example I had a cycle between green and white for whatsapp and green and blue for bbm...this would allow for more distinguishable color patterns that could use the same colors whilst staying origional look up the more popular bbm apps for ideas

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    steven layne shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

I do actually! t’s a feature I’d love to add and technically it’s possible, but there’s a big side effect – battery drain.

With the current on/off timings the processed is controlled via android and passed through to the hardware drivers and is fairly battery efficient. To keep changing the pattern more frequently (either more color changes, or keeping changing the pattern) would mean that we’d have to keep issuing on/off timings or color change timings potentially several times a second. Every change like this means code needs to run. Running code means the phone has to be in a “partial wake” state which brings the CPU out of “deep sleep” and hits the battery quite hard. On testing this in the past (I had it working in an older development build) it would make the app use 25%+ of the battery.

The default led driver options for android allow for custom on/off timings (which is what we use) and therefore doesn’t require this and is what keeps things more battery efficient.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Philippe Lapointe commented  · 

Could you make this feature available only on charge then? My phone is almost always charging, and to me the fancy notifications would be for purely entertaining notifications such as flashing blue/white/red when my hockey team wins a match, notified over the NHL app ;-)

• steven layne commented  · 

Ah....Thanks for your brilliantly swift response!! I get what your saying...its really disappointing though haha not that it's your fault... there should be some kind of cache on the hardware interface side to keep sequences so that your program just needs to update when needed to...I'm not sure if it would hurt your apps image or not but there's always the possibility of allowing that mode but posting a warning about it's battery consumption:P

But anyway...Thanks a lot 
        Steven layne

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Feedback and Knowledge Base